The annual celebration commemorates the life of St Francis, who was born in the 12th century. Pets of all kinds, including dogs, cats, hamsters, rabbits, and even a year-old tortoise, have been blessed in churches in England, Scotland and Northern Ireland in the past.
World Animal Day is today considered an international day of action for animal rights and welfare. The event was originally scheduled for October 4, to align with the feast day of Saint Francis of Assisi, patron saint of ecology, however the venue was not available on that day. World Animal Day is growing into a global event that unites the animal protection movement, led by UK-based animal welfare charity, Naturewatch Foundation since What is St Francis Day and who was Francis?
Welcome to our Parish Website
Let's stay connected! Subscribe to Aleteia's free newsletter.
More from Aleteia Zelda Caldwell. Christin Parcerisa.
Early life and career
Philip Kosloski. Silvia Lucchetti and Matthew Green.
- Haiti: I See, I Cry, I Find Hope In Jesus (text only) (Haiti: I See I Cry)!
- Scientific testing appears to prove that a garment found in Cortona, Italy, belonged to the saint.?
- Saint Francis of Assisi.
- Sweet and Sour Milk!
Not Prepared to Donate? Subscribe By signing, I acknowledge and agree to the Terms and Conditions.
- A Glance at Work . Educational Perspectives (Strumenti per la didattica e la ricerca).
- Biographies for Kids: Saint Francis of Assisi.
- Embrace with a welcoming spirit?
- Environment and the Formation of Galaxies: 30 years later: Proceedings of Symposium 2 of JENAM 2010 (Astrophysics and Space Science Proceedings).
- Why is it also called World Animal Day?.
- Publishing: The Dark Side of the Publishing Industry: What Big Publishers Dont Want You to Know;
Editor's choice. Toggle navigation. Sunday 06 October Saint Faith. Dolors Massot. Matthew Green and Silvia Lucchetti.
St. Francis of Assisi – Catholic Church, Cartersville, GA
Philip Kosloski Oct 04, While he was as qualified as any, Francis chose to remain a deacon and not progress to the priesthood. Francis of Assisi, being the founder of the Franciscans, is commonly thought to have been a priest.
However, he never was, and only progressed to the Order of Deacons. Read more:.
Francis of Assisi
Since you are here…. Become an Aleteia Patron Today.
- Death Note, Vol. 4: Love?
- Francis of Assisi | Christian History | Christianity Today!
- St. Francis of Assisi - Newburgh, NY!
- Learning from the Masters--Granny, Lets Color!!
Daniel Esparza. Aleteia offers you this space to comment on articles. This space should always reflect Aleteia values.